The weather is strange in California, as it always is. One day it’s windy and one day it’s hot. Yesterday, it decided to rain for part of the day. And when it’s cold and wet outside, I like to reach for something comforting and warm.
I love rainy days because it’s an excuse to not work out, make some comfort food, blast the heater, and watch a good movie. Yesterday’s pick was Pride and Prejudice. It’s one of my absolute favorite movies of all time.
But I digress…
I’m a big sucker for pasta but I’m almost always too lazy to make it. When I think of pasta, I think of a complicated sauce that requires a million and one ingredients. I don’t have the time (or patience) to do that. When I come home from being at work for eight hours, I want something quick and easy without resorting to processed meals or restaurant food. Home cooked meals are where it’s at!
So when I saw this pasta recipe on the back of the box of pasta, I decided to make my own version of it. Fun fact about me: I’m notorious for not following a recipe. My roommate teases me about that constantly. But, I like experimenting and seeing what happens. That’s what makes cooking and food fun for me. Also, I prefer to use ingredients I already have on-hand rather than having to buy certain ingredients for a recipe.
Anyway, this pasta is a mix of tomato sauce, grape tomatoes, red peppers, some herbs and spices, topped off with some avocado because I use avocado in almost everything I eat.
Simple ingredients that are easy to get and you might even already have them at home!
It might sound like a weird combination but it really does taste good! Here’s how to make it!
Grape Tomato & Red Pepper Pasta with a Side of Avocado Recipe
Here’s what you need:
- 8oz. of any kind of pasta – I used orzo
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 handful of grape tomatoes,
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Any spices you want
- Salt and pepper
- 1 handful of spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 avocado
Here’s what you do:
- Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box, drain, add back to your pot, and drizzle some olive oil over your pasta to keep them from sticking together.
- In a pan, heat your coconut oil, and sauté your garlic till it becomes fragrant.
- Add your red peppers and tomatoes and sauté till the skin starts to char slightly.
- Add your can of tomato sauce on low heat – it WILL splatter if your pan is too hot. I learned the hard way.
- Add in whatever spices and herbs you like as well as salt and pepper – I added some turmeric, garlic powder, a little bit of cinnamon, and some basil.
- When the sauce is done cooking, add your chopped spinach and mix till the leaves wilt slightly.
- Add your sauce to your pasta and mix till well combined
- Serve with sliced avocado on the side.
I love to add some sriracha on this because, well, I love spicy food. It just kicks things up a notch.
Overall, I think this is a really simple but tasty meal to make! This will usually last me about 4-5 servings and I like to give myself generous portions.
Try it and let me know how it tastes! What’s your secret ingredient(s) to making a dish your own?