Oh man! I don’t think I’ve ever been so exhausted from one day of working out haha. My friends and I decided to go on a hike in Malibu which later turned into a rock climbing adventure. It was scary at first, but now looking back on it, I want to do it again! It was way too much fun.
We went to this place called Escondido Falls. It’s about a 4 mile hike round-trip and it’s so beautiful. The hike starts out overlooking the Pacific Ocean and then it leads down into a canyon-like area. There’s supposed to be a stream but because of the drought, there’s really nothing there. Still really pretty. There’s also supposed to be a waterfall. It would have been nice to see. 🙂
I’ve taken this trail once before and stopped at the first waterfall but we noticed there was another trail that led up so we decided to explore it. Long story short, we were basically rock climbing our way to the second waterfall. In the moment, it was really scary for me because I can just imagine slipping and tumbling down the trail, hitting sharp rocks on the way down haha. But I’m really proud of myself for making it to the top and back down. I actually slipped once on the way down and scared my roommate for a split second because he thought I would run into him hehe. Oops!
Here’s a picture from the second waterfall. The guys I went with decided to climb some more into that cave-like spot. It must have been such a nice view from there! My two girlfriends and I were perfectly fine staying at the bottom haha.
Anyway, hiking really took it out of me but I’m SO glad we did it. I got to explore my surroundings, tried something new, and got a workout in. (Aside from some stretching I should do today, I’m done with week 1 of the Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide workout! 11 more weeks to go…)
By the time it was 9pm yesterday, I was ready to pass out. I called it a night and slept for 10 hours!!!! I NEVER do that.
So now that it’s Sunday and I work tomorrow morning, I want to take it easy and nourish my body before diving into Week 2 of my workout guide. I was too lazy to make anything for lunch but I remembered that I had some roasted zucchini and yellow squash in the fridge that I made a few days ago.
It’s a really light dish but so full of flavor and it hit the spot perfectly. I kind of want seconds…but I want to make my portion stretch for as long as possible haha.
It’s perfect as a side dish, on sandwiches, or even by itself. It’s pretty versatile if I do say so myself. I actually used this exact recipe in my Roasted Squash Sandwich recipe a little while ago!
Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Recipe
- 1 zucchini, chopped into 1 inch-ish pieces
- 1 yellow squash, chopped into 1 inch-ish pieces
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 tsp. paprika
- 1.5 tsp. garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp. allspice
- A dash of turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Toss all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Make sure you pour enough olive oil to coat all the zucchini and squash pieces. The more oil you use, the more juice you’ll get when it’s all cooked. So really, it’s up to you how much oil you want to use. 🙂
- Pour everything in your mixing bowl onto a baking tray and spread out evenly.
- Roast in the oven on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes. Check on it every so often. The zucchini and squash should be nice and soft when done.
- Once done, use a spatula to lift the zucchini and squash from your tray so it doesn’t stick.
- Serve or store for later. 🙂 Make sure you get as much oil from the tray as possible; it helps keep it from drying out and it tastes great!
And there you have it: a really easy yet delicious meal you can make when you’re in a pinch.
I hope you love this as much as I do.
Enjoy the rest of your day! 🙂
What did you guys do this weekend? Tell me in the comments below!