Pinterest is literally my (virtual) best friend. I’m always on it looking for inspiration whether it’s for fashion, beauty, fitness, or food. Most of the time, however, I find foodspiration. 😉
I randomly decided to get an eggplant at the store without any idea of what to do with it. (I do this a lot, by the way, and I usually end up with a pretty cool meal!) I then found this recipe for grilled eggplant on Pinterest and my life changed for the better.
This eggplant sandwich totally blows a “regular” meat-based sandwich out of the water and it’s so much easier and cleaner to make than a veggie patty. The eggplant IS the patty. How ingenious is that?!
With my interpretation of the grilled eggplant patty recipe plus my love of sandwiches, I managed to create something delicious, if I do say so myself. And I’m positive you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.
Here’s how you can make your very own Eggplant Patty Sandwich!
Grilled Eggplant Patty Sandwich Recipe
Here’s what you need:
- 2 pieces of Ezekiel toast
- 1 thick eggplant patty slice
- Marinated in olive oil, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, allspice, salt, and pepper
- Onion, sliced
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Spinach leaves
- Avocados, sliced
- Cucumbers, sliced
Here’s what you do:
- Prepare your marinade and evenly coat your eggplant slices.
- Use as much or as little spices and/or oil as you like. I like to use A LOT. The more oil and spices, the more flavorful. All that marinade will get soaked up a bit by the toast and your tastebuds will explode. Not literally, obviously.
- Grill your eggplant for about 5 minutes per side.
- I don’t have a grill so I used a pan coated with some coconut oil and it worked just fine.
- Lightly toast your bread.
- Spread hummus on both pieces of toast.
- Layer the remainder of the ingredients.
My favorite thing about this recipe is the marinade. It really gives the sandwich an extra kick of flavor and makes it juicy, almost as if you had a meat patty in there. 🙂
This sandwich gives you all the flavor without any of the guilt. It’s healthy, light, and very filling. I’m pretty sure the first time I made this, I saved half the sandwich for later.
Sandwiches are so simple but there are a million recipes out there.
What’s your favorite sandwich recipe? Tell me in the comments below!