I’m officially declaring it Fall even though California weather would have you think otherwise. It’s still too hot! But with my coconut oil finally solidifying, I’m pleased that Fall will (officially) be here in no time!
Once the weather starts cooling down, I like to reach for something that will make me feel cozy and warm on the inside. Pasta will usually do that for me. But despite my love of pasta, I don’t really make it too often because I don’t know what to add to cooked noodles besides tomato sauce and a bunch of different spices. 😦
I’ve also been craving something with mushrooms in it which is really weird because I’ve never liked mushrooms. I think my long-time desire for Beef Stroganoff but not being able to have it is finally getting to me. But after scouring Pinterest one day, I found a pasta dish with mushrooms that was totally doable and looked absolutely amazing.
Anna over at CrunchyCreamySweet’s One-Pot Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta recipe is everything I was looking for. It’s easy to make, it has simple ingredients, and it doesn’t take much time to cook. Best of all, you throw all the ingredients into one pot, crank up the heat, and let it all cook together! One pot pastas are a genius concept that I’m totally in love with.
The recipe itself is vegetarian and includes butter and either whole milk or half and half. I don’t keep either of those things in my fridge because I’m still mostly a plant-based eater and eat very little, if any, dairy. But I like modifying recipes to suit my diet which is exactly what I did with this one. Needless to say, it came out great! A big pot of it lasted me two days…and I was the only one eating it LOL.
If you want to learn how I created a dairy-free version of CrunchyCreamySweet‘s amazing recipe, read on!
Dairy Free One Pot Mushroom and Spinach Pasta Recipe
Here’s what you need:
- Coconut oil
- 6 white button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 15oz. can white great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 big handfuls frozen or a handful of fresh spinach
- I added more than the original recipe asked for. I love spinach so the more, the merrier! 🙂
- 9oz. bite sized pasta, uncooked
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/5 c. water + extra if the sauce is too thick
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Here’s what you do:
- Heat coconut oil in a big pot.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned and fragrant. Make sure to not overcrowd them otherwise the mushrooms will steam rather than sauté. Learned that the hard way.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and mix well. Make sure the bouillon cube disintegrates all the way. It takes some digging but it dissolves pretty quickly.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a simmer until the pasta is cooked all the way through. About 10-15 minutes.
- Let the pasta set and the sauce will thicken.
- Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite thing to eat when the weather starts cooling down? Share them with me in the comments below! 🙂
Also, make sure to check out Anna’s blog at CrunchyCreamySweet to see more amazing recipes!